Thursday, August 14, 2008

love God & love others...

so, as i was reading my morning devotional (www.girlfriendsingod.com), it reminded me of a news show i saw a few months back about the good samaritan : www.abcnews.go.com/Primetime/WhatWouldYouDo/story?id=4420829&page=1

1 Thessalonians 5:14 "We ask you, brothers and sisters, encourage the people who are afraid.  Help those who are weak.  Be patient with everyone."

It seems that we are encountered with special needs each and every day...however, we are not always aware of these needs because we are sometimes too focused on ourselves and our busy schedules.  It is our relationship with God that determines our love for others and our compassion for other's needs.  

There are 2 main reasons we are blinded by the needs that pass us on the streets each day...
#1) We are too busy (read Hebrews 13:2)
#2) We do NOT care enough (read 1 John 4:8 and 1 John 4-20)

Bringing me back to The Good Samaritan story...
The Samaritan had a choice, just like we have a choice every time we are confronted w/ a need.  The way we love and take care of one another should be a living illustration of God's love.

Father, please forgive me for my calloused attitude toward those in need around me.  Forgive me for making my Day Timer my Bible.  I don NOT want to be a hypocrite, Lord.  Give me a heart of compassion and  the eyes to see those You send my way.  I pray that my life will exemplify Your love and mercy.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: