Thursday, August 21, 2008

good heart = good tongue...

today's verse:
"We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth.  And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong."  James 3:3-4

In a small country church, an altar boy who was serving the priest at Sunday mass accidentally dropped the glass of wine.  The priest struck the boy and shouted, "Get out and don't come back!"  That boy became Tito, the COmmunist leader.  In another cathedral, an altar boy who was serving the bishop at Sunday mass, accidentally dropped the glass of wine.  WIth a warm twinkle in his eyes, the bishop gently whispered, "Someday you will be a priest."  That boy grew up to become Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

(THE ABOVE TAKEN FROM WWW.GIRLFRIENDSINGOD.COM)

This lesson is so powerful to me as a mother & wife.  There are many times that my words are not positive to my kids or to my husband.  I am ashamed at some of the things that come from my mouth.  I think my heart is right, but I also know that I am a selfish person...so when I'm not busy with what I want to do, my words are positive and encouraging to my kids.  However, when I'm busy with a task or schoolwork, or even a silly little email, I do not choose to have the patience or desire to put my kids first.  Father, I pray today I start being intentional about my priorities.  I pray that my heart for You be apparent in my words to my husband and my children.  Father, I want to be like you and I want my children to feel Your love every time my mouth is open...even in times of discipline, may they know and feel my love and more importantly Your perfect love for them. Thank you in advance, God, for giving me the patience and positive words that you desire for my family.  In Jesus' name, AMEN!

Matthew 12:34-35 says... "The mouth speaks the things that are in the heart.  Good people have good things in their hearts, and so they good things.  But evil people have evil in their hearts, so they say evil things."

These verses scare me today as I think back and see how my words have been changing.  I am embarrassed to think and reflect on the foolish words that I have spoken recently.  Father, I ask your forgiveness today for the things I do and say that displease you.  I am foolish at times and pray for a better day when my words are encouraging and powerful rather than degrading and destructive.  I also pray that my attitude in speech is more positive as well.  When I speak to my husband, Lord I pray that my tone and my heart are full of love and grace!  In Jesus' Name, AMEN.

Thank you God for allowing me the freedom to speak and type what's on my heart.  I LOVE you and want to be more like your Perfect Son, Jesus! :)

No comments: