Tuesday, February 3, 2009

how many kings...

Our HOME Group has been reading through the book of Phillipians over the past couple months and we've had some really great discussion.  I just LOVE it when our scripture readings match up with our Sunday morning gatherings...God is cool like that, isn't He!?

The verses that struck us the most this past month were:
Phillipians 2:5-11
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, bring made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that as the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

It goes along with the lyrics of one of my favorite songs...
by Downhere
How many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only one did that for me.

These verse and lyrics came up again today during our Staff meeting devos (this week led by Jim Rathbun)  Funny how God puts the things in our heads and hearts for specific times...on repeat mode...trying to sink it into our thick skulls!  (at least I know mine is THICK!) ;)

Anyway, my thought keeps coming back to verse 5...
my attitude should be the same as Christ Jesus
and his was one of humilty...He was God and is God and always will be.
Yes, I am His child, but I am nothing in comparison and yet I do things w/ an attitude of selfishness...who am I to act that way and say the things and think the things that I do?

Father, help me...
May I live my life in obedience to you...may I have the attitude of Jesus in my heart everyday! May I put Christ Jesus at the forefront of my days and ask His direction in everything I do...
You stepped down from your throne and loved on EVERYone w/o an attitude of self righteousness...help me to strive after your heart and bring that love into the lives of others.
In Jesus Name...

No comments: